This chocolate brownie with white chocolate icing is the BEST brownie recipe, ever. I love making this, it’s really straight forward, it’s got serious wow factor and people usually groan with pleasure when they eat it. But, that’s no surprise really, cast your eye over the ingredients…. All the good stuff, or the bad stuff, depending on which way you look at it (I’m not going to try and pull the wool over your eyes!) But, I eat this so rarely, and it’s so scrummy, I just refuse to feel bad eating it: Life is TOO short to feel guilty about eating a piece of brownie! That said, I do chuckle to myself when people ask what’s in this brownie. I usually just smile and say “one packet of dark chocolate melts in the base. Oh and a packet of white chocolate melts in the icing, along with a tin of condensed milk and butter”. Eyes usually widen and then, with a mouth full of brownie, I hear murmurs of appreciation, and then, inevitably, they ask for another slice.
My friend Mandy gave me this recipe years ago and I’ve made this for special occasions and as a Christmas gift for foodie friends ever since (including, I recall, back to Mandy one year!). I made this for my boss for Christmas one year and he had scoffed the lot by lunchtime!
As a gift, I usually package up slices of the brownie in a festive looking cup or bowl, wrap it up in some cellophane, tie a nice ribbon/some baking twine around it and boom… Done! (Actually I think I need to get a bit more creative with my Christmas foodie gift wrapping!).
- 125g butter
- 300g dark chocolate melts (I used Nestle)
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 3 small beaten eggs
- ¾ c plain flour
- ¾ c cocoa
- 50g butter
- 375g white chocolate melts (I used Nestle)
- 1 can condensed milk
- Grease 24cm square cake tin (or baking slice tin,) with non stick paper to come quite high up the sides (necessary to 'catch' the icing in a few more steps)
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (or 160 degrees on fan bake)
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan. Turn the heat down to very low and add the dark chocolate to melt. Once the chocolate is melted, remove the pan from the heat. Add sugar and eggs and beat well till combined.
- Sift in dry ingredients and mix till just combined.
- Pour brownie mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes. It'll still be slightly fudgey after this time - that's fine, don't be tempted to cook it for any longer (otherwise it'll go rock hard, trust me on this one!)
- Cool then ice with the white chocolate icing.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Turn heat down VERY low, add condensed milk and white chocolate. Stir constantly till chocolate just melt, stirring well the entire time.
- Once chocolate is melted pour icing evenly over the brownie.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to set - then cut and devour.