Oh yes. My chocolate caramel slice recipe.
The Boy and I have been watching Zumbo’s Just Desserts on TV3 on Monday and Tuesday nights. Despite having an epic savoury tooth I can’t help but develop intense cravings whilst watching Zumbo’s for… SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR. Enough, I thought. Time to whip up something decadent to enhance our viewing pleasure. Frankly, I don’t think you can go past chocolate caramel slice, for me this is the ultimate treat, the king of home-baking.
Here’s my recipe, it’s a bit of a hodge-podge of various recipes I’ve tried over the years.
Now, don’t tell anyone… Sometimes I make it with…. Double the caramel topping. I know. I’m such a porker. But try it, don’t just shake your head in disbelief at my porkiness.
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g melted butter
- 60g butter
- 1 can of condensed milk (395g)
- 2 heaped tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (extra)
- 200g dark chocolate melts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (normal bake)
- Combine all base ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Press into pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool
- Combine caramel ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until boiling, reduce to the lowest heat and stir, constantly for 5 minutes until the caramel is thick. Spread caramel over the cooled base.
- Bake base with the caramel layer for a further 8-10 minutes (make sure it doesn't go too golden). Cool
- Combine melted dark chocolate melts and melted butter (the extra tablespoon). Spread on top of slice.
- Refrigerate until set. Then cut into squares.
- Hide it from your family.
TIP: If you want the slices to look pretty and 'clean', wet your knife in hot water, then slice. Then clean your knife off, then slice again. I personally can't be bothered with this step... But I can see why you would bother 🙂
PS Zumbo is Adriano Zumbo, and Australian chef and patissier, also known as the Australian Willy Wonka.