Right. This isn’t my recipe, let’s get that out of the way. Nope, this mega morsel of delicious-ness was the brainchild of my nine year old son (albeit with a little bit of help from his Mumma). He’s been on a cheesecake creation bender for the last month and he’s been churning out all sorts of cheesecake concoctions. This Cookies and Cream Cheesecake is the best cheesecake yet! Being a child that was raised well (ha), he’s happy to share his recipe. Enjoy.
- 200g packet Griffins Chocolate Chip cookies or X1 packet of plain biscuits (e.g. Superwines)
- 100g melted butter
- 3 teaspoons gelatin (I use the Davis brand of 'clear and un-flavoured gelatin)
- 1/4 cups water
- 375g Philly cream cheese (softened slightly - I take the chill off by microwaving it for 20 seconds)
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (extract will be fine too)
- 300ml cream, softly whipped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (I use the Equagold brand - ahmazing)
- 125g dark chocolate
- 19 Oreo cookies, chopped into small bite sized pieces (not sure of the weight sorry, we can only buy Oreo cookies in boxes containing snackpacks of 3)
- 3 Oreo cookies, chooped into small chunks
- Line the base of a round 23cm (ish) springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Place biscuits in a food processor and process until finely crushed.
- Add melted butter to the crumbs and pulse until moistened and well combined.
- Tip the biscuit mixture into the cake tin and press mixture into base of tin. Chill until required.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the water and let it swell for five minutes then warm in the microwave or over hot water until dissolved. Cool (noting don't let it cool for too long or the gelatin will set, if that happens warm it up again slightly). Set aside.
- Place the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a cake mixer (or if not using a cake mixer, place ingredients in a large bowl). Beat well until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate (I place it in the microwave and heat it in very short bursts, mixing it in between bursts). Add melted chocolate and cocoa powder to cream cheese mixture. Mix through.
- Add gelatin into cream cheese mixture. Mix in. Then fold in whipped cream and chopped Oreo cookies.
- Decorate with remaining chopped Oreos (you should have 3 left!)
- Chill cheesecake for at least four hours to set (this is a great dessert to prep the night before.