We love nut butter in this house: Peanut, cashew, almond, it’s all bloody good, but I resent paying up to NZ$15 for it, even though it’s mind-blowing delicious. So, I had a play around making my own with my food processor and, more recently my NEW sparkly Nutribullet – and BINGO! Easy as and I saved some money so I can put that towards the new MAC foundation I’m lusting after (Waterweight, if anyone is interested)…. I know, I’m a shocker.
Nut butter, if you haven’t tried it, is delicious in so many ways: Try it on sliced apple; On rice cakes topped with tomato or beetroot (don’t knock it till you’ve tried it! My crossfit bunny friend Lauren introduced me to this, it’s currently my favourite snack!); Or, spread on toast (Vogels, of course, sometimes it pays not to over complicate things…).
What nuts can you use? Any! Almond, cashew, macadamia, brazil, hazelnut – you can use seeds too, sunflower are my favourite to use (I’ve done an award winning combo of sunflower and cashew butter).
Here’s a narration on what you do (recipe is at the bottom if you are mildly impatient like me, i.e. you want to cut to the chase).
Here’s the recipe, in a more ‘proper form’!
- 1 1/2 cup nuts (you can use cashew, almond, peanuts - I used a combo of almond, cashew and macadamia!) - I use a mix of salted or raw nuts.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pinch of sea salt (unless you've used salted nuts)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor - or Nutribullet. If you are using a Nutribullet, use the short cup if you have one: I don't, and it's a pain in the bum scraping the butter out!
- Blitz! (30 seconds)
- Stop frequently and remove the blade and stir the ingredients (and scrape the bowl/Nutribullet cup) so all the nuts can reach the blade.
- Keep at this process until the nuts form an even and smooth texture. It'll take only a minute or two in a Nutribullet - longer in a food processor. Just keep blitzing. The nuts will grind to a fine powder first and then with continual processing they'll become smooth and creamy.
- When done - transfer to a clean jar!
Have you made nut butter? What’s your favourite combo?