I’m a little bit excited about this recipe. Salmon is easily my fish of choice – I just can’t get enough of it. Add pesto into the same sentence as salmon and you’ve got me grinning like a Cheshire Cat. Bonus too – this has sod all ingredients (I know my recipes can get a tad lengthy – so enjoy this!). This definitely falls in the ‘easy mid week’ dinner category – despite looking like it’s something you’d cook for a flash dinner party (that’s my kind of dinner!).
Ingredients (serves two)
X2 salmon fillets (bones removed)
2 tablespoons basil pesto (I used homemade stuff, using this recipe – sub the coriander for basil!)
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 heaped teaspoon of capers (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius (180 degrees if you are using a fan oven).
- De-bone the salmon (I keep some blunt and old Manicare tweezers in my kitchen drawer especially for occasions like this).
- Line a small roasting dish with non-stick paper and arrange salmon fillets on top (skin side down).
- In a small bowl mix together the pesto, yogurt and mayonnaise and then press half the mixture evenly across the salmon fillets. Top the fillets with the capers.
- Bake the salmon fillets for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through (it might take up to 15 mins if you have thick fillets). The salmon should just start to turn opaque, with a trace of bright orange in the middle. Note: If you want the topping slightly browned then turn the grill on at the end and brown it up (I didn’t bother).
- Serve hot with your favourite green salad/veges (I did new potatoes and a leafy rocket-based salad).
I just realised this recipe is simple enough for me to ask my husband to make it for dinner one night (that came out really wrong, but you know what I mean… Right?!)