I love biscotti and, thinking ahead to Christmas foodie presents, I figured biscotti with cranberry, pistachio and white chocolate would give it a little bit of Christmas cheer (OK, and look pretty). Biscotti is surprisingly easy to make, the only tricky bit is making sure you have enough time to let the biscotti logs cool completely before slicing them up into little pieces and baking them again to crisp them up. Once cooled, package these up in a cellophane bag with a bit of ribbon – you’ve got a nice gift for a foodie.
This recipe is a little bit Donna Hay and a little bit Beauty Foodie as I just couldn’t find the perfect recipe! Just quietly, I’m pretty chuffed with how this turned out! They taste delicious, I love the texture and the slightly salty contrast of the pistachio with the sweetness of the cranberry and white chocolate. Don’t tell my favourite cafe… But this biscotti is nicer than theirs…
Makes about 40 biscotti
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar (normal or castor, doesn’t matter)
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup white chocolate chips (I used Whittakers’ White Chocolate finely chopped because I LOVE IT!).
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius (normal bake). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and pistachio nuts.
- Add eggs, vanilla, butter, cranberries and white chocolate. Stir and mix to form a dough. Divide dough in two.
- Shape dough into two logs and flatten slightly.
- Place logs onto baking trays and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Cut logs into thin slices and place back on a baking tray (place it on the same baking paper as before) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and just starting to go brown.
- Transfer the biscotti to a cooling rack