These bacon and egg cupcakes are ludicrously quick and easy to prepare and are totally scrummy ! We’ve had these quite a few times since I fiddled around and came up with my version of the recipe. We love how these are gluten free, full of protein, are super filling. They make a great breakfast alternative to bacon and eggs. I like to use Tegel’s Chicken Bacon for this, simply as it’s a super light bacon alternative at 95% fat free, yet it doesn’t compromise on taste. I got hooked on Chicken Bacon when I was doing Weight Watchers a few years back: I’ve been a fan ever since.
I seriously rate these cupcakes as they make for a seriously quick breakfast: I make a batch of half a dozen or so in advance, let them cool and put them in the fridge and cover them with cling film. At breakfast, the next day or the day after that (!) I pull one out, heat it in the microwave for 40 seconds… And breakfast is ready. Much quicker than faffing around poaching eggs like I usually do! Alternatively, these are super handy to take to work for lunch (I’ve done that numerous times and had them with a green salad). I hope you enjoy 🙂
Eggs – 1 per cupcake
Chicken bacon (I use the Tegel brand) – 2 rashers per cupcake*
Grated cheese (any kind) – you need a sprinkle per cupcake (half a tablespoon or so)
Diced tomato (you need about 1 tsp of diced tomato per cupcake)
Finely chopped herbs (optional)
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease a large muffin tin. Line each muffin cup with 2 slices of chicken bacon.
- Place diced tomato on top of the bacon. Season.
- Add grated cheese on top of the tomato, add fresh herbs (if using) and then crack an egg on top.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the egg is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Scoff, or cool completely and attempt to save for breakfast for tomorrow (good luck with that!).
* If you use normal bacon precook it slightly first (either pan fry it until the ‘rawness’ is gone, or else give it a 1 minute burst in the microwave).