Another mid week meal that you can whip up in a hurry, my Hot Hubby loves this and he has even been known to make it (without help) on occasion! Use whatever veges you have in the fridge to keep the meal in season and easy. Note, if you are calorie counting, here’s a tip: When I was on Weight Watchers I made this and substituted the coconut milk for low fat evaporated milk and added a dash of coconut essence – it tastes great and you can’t tell the difference.
2 1/2 c coconut milk (I used Trident Lite Coconut Milk)
2 tlb red curry paste (less if you don’t like your food too spicy!)
2 cloves of garlic – finely grated
1 thumb of ginger – finely grated
1 tsp turmeric
2 1/2 c chicken stock
2 Tlb fish sauce
1 Tlb dark soy sauce
450 g chicken (thinly sliced)
1 1/2 C thinly sliced vegetables (carrots, beans, zucchini and capsicum are good)
400 g noodles (Singapore noodles, soba, fresh egg, 2 minute noodles – anything goes)
Juice of one lime (plus another lime for garnish – optional)
1/4 c fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan or wok, bring ¾ cup of coconut milk to the boil. Add curry paste, turmeric, garlic and ginger. Stir to mix completely and cook until fragrant (3 minutes approx)
- Add chicken and veges of your choice and stir-fry for 2 mins so chicken is well coated with the paste.
- Add remaining coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce and soy sauce. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Add veges. Simmer till chicken is cooked (4 mins max – don’t overcook the chicken or it’ll go tough).
- In the meantime, cook noodles in boiling water until cooked (as per the instructions on the back of the noodle packet) . Divide noodles among four noodle bowls.
- Remove soup from heat and add lime juice. Divide chicken into bowls and ladle soup on top.
- Top with bean sprouts and chopped coriander (I didn’t have bean sprouts when I made this!) – and a quarter of lime (optional)
- Optional extra toppings include chopped spring onion, chilli flakes, toasted peanuts and fried garlic can be added.