I’ve been trying to get a bit more organised with week night dinners lately and, at the same time, I’ve been getting creative with my slow cooker. The creativity for this dish started when I scored a six pack of chorizo sausages from Countdown on sale for $4 and figured I’d try my luck with them in the slow cooker. This was the result, purely trial and error – with, ha ha, no error. We’ll be having this warm and hearty dish again!
- 6 chorizo (I used butchery style sausages, as opposed to the pre-cooked ones from the deli)
- 2 cups of bacon,finely sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of honey (balances out the acidity of the tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can cannellini beans, washed and drained
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Couple of pinches of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT cannellini beans and cooked and shredded chicken breast in a slow cooker.
- Cook on slow for five hours, or two hours on high.
- After this time add the cannellini beans and chicken breast. Stir. Heat until beans and chicken are warmed through. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with crusty bread or rice.
Note, I live around the corner from work so, in terms of the cooking time, I was able to come home at lunchtime and switch the slowcooker on to ‘warm’ for the rest of the afternoon, otherwise the sausages would have gone too dry. If you don’t have that luxury of being able to nip home, then use deli style chorizo sausages and slice ’em up. Add another half a cup of chicken stock and adjust the cooking time to 8 hours on low. It’ll be fine.